View Single Post
Old 11-26-08, 04:33 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,942 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

I've known I had adhd as long as I can remember. My parents were told to put me on meds at three years of age. They declined and now at age 44 I'm medicated, omg what a difference! As far as telling people, I never did, the thought of having a label was more than grating, I had no forgiveness for my symptoms and felt I could fix it if I just tried hard enough. It didn't work. It's pretty much a testament to ignorance about adhd since I'm a flaming case of it.

I did have one workplace where everyone knew, that's because there were three of us, and we were all the super performers. It was amazing how people took things in stride like when I would be stressed and rushed to the point of incoherence (talking so fast it came out as gibberish) they'd just laugh and say, ok, let's slow that down.

I'm really torn about telling people, on the one hand I have zero desire to be the subject of prejudice and discrimination, on the other hand, it would come really handy when I have one of those 'oops moments' of not hearing even one thing they said and on the third hand (yes I have three when I count really fast) I don't want others to feel the shame I have.
The Following User Says Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
xraylady33 (11-27-08)