View Single Post
Old 11-24-08, 06:25 PM
Contributor

MightyMouse is on a distinguished road
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Personally, I tell everyone I meet. I don't think their isn't anyone that knows me that doesn't know. I don't apologize for it. I don't expect different treatment. I don't accept unfair or ignorant criticisms about it. I let people know I am impulsive and say things sometimes I don't intend to. I let them know that I may have to ask them a couple of times about something b/c I'm not paying attention. some people have a hard time with it, but I feel like it's my job to educate them on it. If they choose to continue being ignorant, then that's their decision and their's nothing I can do about it anyway. I am very comfortable being ADHD and anyone who spends more than 10 minutes with me figures it out pretty darn quickly whether I tell them or not. Because I'm so open about it, you would be really surprised how many students or people have come up to me alone to ask questions about it or thank me for being so open and honest with them.

I can also appreciate others who aren't so open about it. I haven't always been this way, but at some point I figured I needed to accept myself for who I was and that would have to include my ADHD. As long as you are open, honest and live your life with integrity, let others see your ADHD and they may even realize how gifted it makes us in other areas.

For example, students don't fall asleep in my lectures because I am so hyperactive I walk among the rows of seats and don't even notice. I'll stop right in front of a students' desk to ask them a question in the middle of lecture. As a result, my students are almost always on top of their studies for my classes because they never know whether I will impulsively pick them that day. Also, I give each semester to a class solely dedicated to ADHD where my students are allowed to openly and honestly ask me questions about it: what's it like?, what's the worst thing about it?, what's the best thing about it?, I think my brother has it, how do I find out?, etc.

So my advice....be you and that includes everything about you. You were made beautiful just the way you are, let that shine through. Is it easy? No. No one said it would be, but I'll take real over easy any day. Just my 2 cents to add to the post.

'Ich bin nie anderen Menschen zu messen genesen' - it has never been possible to measure me in terms of other human beings. - Else Lasker-Shuler

Genius is mainly an affair of energy - Matthew Arnold
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MightyMouse For This Useful Post:
ADDinHDefgHi?! (02-25-11), Atsuko (04-10-10), xraylady33 (11-27-08)