View Single Post
Old 03-03-05, 04:56 PM
Forum Guru

KnittingJunkie has disabled reputation
Duuuude! I do that sometimes and it totally works--even before I got diagnosed I did it! (Of course, pre-dex, things stayed in my brain for all of 2 days max, but...) That's sooo funny!

Chrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke
Hey peeps,
The issue wasn't as much verbal (talking) as much as STRUCTURED content.
I've actually been doing a LOT of reading on time awareness; thinking patterns; and other stuff that affects how I absorb information...

I actually tried something new the other day...
AND IT WORKED!!!

here are my general findings:

1. AD/HDers THINK differently.

most of the stuff in school is presented in a chronological format... meaning "first this happens, then this and then this, and then what happens is this"
That way doesn't help us, b/c we need to SEE the big picture in terms of RELATIONSHIPS, not events.

That means that if we are able to (which with a short term working memory LD, I can't very well) keep our eye on the big picture during a lecture when the prof presents it at the beginning of the class (if we are that lucky...) it would help a lot.

Since it takes me time to understand the big picture to begin with, the typical way of reading a big long book just was making it realllly hard for me to see the relationships.

Having also read about being active in studying in order to really learn material, I came up with a way that requires me to do that. (No matter how hard I tried to 'remember' to be active and keep stepping back to ask questions, I would end up reading all the words).

READ BACKWARDS.
on several levels...

I have a book critique from last semester (April) that is again overdue... it's been really hard, as it's super detailed based on research. Really interesting topic though.
So that threw out the notion that it needs to be interesting.
Also, in order to write the report, I had to understand details in a way so I could do the critique. So I couldn't just do the 'don't need to know every detail' attitude.
I had to know details to a certain extent.

So, I was getting stuck and confused about where it was all going and where the author had already been in his arguments and reasoning etc...

I got frustrated and just thought, geesh, I should just read the conclusion to figure out what the whole point is...

I read the conclusion instead of continuiing, and it was better than going through it in chapter order... but still not clear enough.

So then, I tried something else, and this time IT WORKED!!

What I did was:

READ BACKWARDS BY PARAGRAPH.

sounds silly and confusing, but it really helped me a lot.

For some reason, it actually made the main points and arguments stand out really clearly - probably b/c you read the main points taken from the previous chapter first, and then the details.

Reading it backwards also forces me to flip back and forth and locate where the author is drawing the ideas from. I end up having to scan the last paragraph quickly to see where something was mentioned, and also the paragraph before the one I'm currently on.

Taking it down to reading the paragraph backwards by sentence also works really well in this case.

I'm not sure how it would work in textbooks, but I'm thinking it might help if I were to take the material topic by topic, but still read the summary paragraph first and then work backward from there.

This sounds really weird, but I've been looking for the best way to ensure that I UNDERSTAND material (b/c that's the only way to ensure I'm getting what I'm paying for...) and this is the only thing that has helped so far... hopefully it will work for other academic kinds of reading.

Has anyone else used this?
Does it work?
If you havn't tried it, please try it out and let me know if it does make things easier...
I'm curious to see whether or not I'm an oddball...