View Single Post
Old 02-17-18, 09:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,054 Times in 2,509 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: *Database Error*

I fear the site owner has missed the upgrade window. 3.7.4 is an ancient version of vBulletin and upgrading a site of this size to vBulletin 5 is likely to be a major undertaking.

The vBulletin forum mentioned back in 2016 that vBulletin's own professional hosting admins were forced to roll back a 3.7 -> 5 upgrade because of the size of the database.

I suspect this is the problem here..... the forum didn't upgrade over many years and is now orphaned with a huge database on geriatric versions PHP and MySQL. As the forum continues to grow, the expense and complexity of upgrading increases exponentially while the stability decreases linearly.

At some point the site will fail and recovery won't be possible.

I feel really sad about that.... this has been a fantastic resource for me over the years and I wouldn't be where I am now without it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
aeon (02-18-18), daveddd (02-17-18), Fuzzy12 (02-17-18), Lunacie (02-17-18), midnightstar (02-17-18)