View Single Post
Old 05-18-19, 10:17 AM
Contributor

qanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of light
Re: I need help! My son is driving me bonkers

I'm a teacher. In our district kids with adhd often have an IEP (individualized education plan) which may require them to have a TA (teaching assistant) with them in their core classes (math, science, LA, SS). I am an encore teacher & we often get a TA for half our class or even none at all. Students may also take tests in a separate location & get extra time. They also have a special ed teacher who may also push in to the core classes to modify assignments or be extra help to the teacher while teaching. The special ed teacher and TA may also help keep their students paper work organized and ensure they write down assignments and check to make sure they are completing them. But don't forget, they are responsible for many children so your son will not receive 1:1 help. That kind of support would be very, very costly for school districts and is not feasible. Still all this sounds great & it does help, but some students can be hugely disruptive to a class regardless of the extra adults & support. And just to give you a teacher point of view, I have another 25 students to look out for too. So when a student is constantly disruptive or off task, the amount of material I can get through decreases, & the rest of the class may be on standby while one student is getting reminders to stay on task, retaught because they once again did not pay attention, or need reminders to not disrupt repeatedly. Learning is often building upon things, so missing a step or concept causes a students learning to stop in it's tracks. And sometimes we end up moving on so 25 students don't waste time in wait mode and the students struggling fall behind. Then these struggling students need to stay after school to catch up which is often another fight as they are already feeling overwhelmed with work & their Homework often takes much longer to complete because they get distracted so easily. And I also see some students struggle with friends as a result of their immaturity and annoying behaviors, which is the part that actually breaks my heart the most. So I would recommend therapy along with meds to help your son behave in a way that's more socially acceptable & conducive to learning. My nephew, who exhibited some anxiety, would lose it sometimes, but it seems his lose of control was anxiety related as a SSRI added to his Concerta has helped him stay in control more. Maybe your son has a missing part of the puzzle too.
The Following User Says Thank You to qanda For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (05-18-19)