View Single Post
Old 04-17-19, 11:01 PM

freshy is on a distinguished road
Drinking When Bored

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site and this forum, but I thought I'd bring up a problem I have and see if any of you can relate or provide some tips.

I drink too much, and most the time it comes down to something simple: I'm bored. During the week I'm extremely busy with work and therefor don't have any time to be bored, but when the weekends hit (and holidays) I find myself using alcohol again and again to stave off boredom.

Here's the thing: I have plenty of hobbies. I write, make music, and read but I find that after a burst of hyper focus these activities can't fill up all my time. Then I get that restless itch and I reach for the beer.

I'm a teacher, so I am off for many holidays. Usually they are around a week long. I can't remember the last time I had one of these holidays where I didn't drink nearly everyday. I tell myself (and frankly other people tell me too) that this is normal. It's vacation, isn't it? Everybody does it, right? Maybe I'm just hanging around with the wrong people...

So, to cut to the point, boredom is a huge trigger for my alcohol problem. Even as Spring Break looms in front of me I'm already feeling restless, wondering how I will pass the time without my usual routine. Not the feeling most people have before spring break, eh?

Anyways, I'm posting here to see if anyone has any tips or suggestions. If anything has helped me, it's exercise. When I feel the boredom creeping in along with the craving for alcohol, I go on a run or play soccer. This does seem to clear my head and can assuage the cravings for a bit.

What do you think?