View Single Post
Old 03-26-19, 03:30 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 21,421 Times in 10,806 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Reply to Visitor Messages/Post Visitor Message on Another User's Profile

Hi ADHD_Trekkie,

It's almost certainly not you! -- the forum software is old and clunky*, and most members develop a kind of love-hate relationship with it.

I see one VM showing up on your profile at the moment -- you shouldn't need to do anything to approve it.

There isn't a "reply" button for VMs -- I don't know why -- so you can usually visit the other person's profile and leave a message.

Users have the option to allow (or not) visitor messages, private messages, and e-mails. (This option is in the User Control Panel / User CP.) Some choose not to enable this feature. It may be that the visitor you're trying to reply to has this feature turned off, in which case you can try to send a private message (if they allow that).

If the other member's profile shows that they have recent messages from other members, then maybe something weird is going on.

Usually you would see a box on the other person's profile to type your message, just as you see a box to type visitor messages on your own profile. Similarly, if you click on "view conversation", there should be a box at the top for you to type a message to continue the conversation.

I don't know for sure if new members' ability to send visitor messages is restricted for a time -- just as posts from new members are moderated for a little while to prevent spammer accounts from overwhelming the forum. (I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure.)

In any case, thanks for the heads-up! If the problem continues, let us know and I'll ask one of the site admins to look into it.

- Namazu

* This is due to the site owner, David, never getting around to upgrading despite repeated promises to do so, and his being the only one with permissions to do so, despite repeated pleas and offers of assistance (technical and financial) from members and staff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
ADHD_Trekkie (03-27-19), aeon (03-26-19), midnightstar (03-26-19)