View Single Post
Old 11-10-17, 03:08 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Complicated Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by peripatetic View Post
i don't know the likelihood of being prescribed stimulants in your situation as i've not been in that.... BUT, we have had members here who've had addiction problems, including meth and cocaine, but who were/are effectively treated with stimulants. their psychiatrists saw their addiction as self medicating.
True. I've also known people who have the label of "drug abuser" permanently added to their medical record for all their future providers to see. I'd not a medical or legal expert, so I really don't have any advice to give here. Just sharing my personal observations.

Quote:
that said, desoxyn is usually a step after you've exhausted several other medications and i highly doubt a psychiatrist would give it to you straight away.
Also true!

Quote:
have you been diagnosed with adhd? it sounds like you've been diagnosed with depression. is there a reason to think you have adhd or do you just think that stimulants are what's needed to help your depression symptoms?
This is the most important point. The medications are NOT designed to get you high. They MIGHT get you high initially, but to sustain it you'd need to rapidly escalate the dose beyond standard medical ranges, and take them in non-conventional routes. It's not worth it. If you have ADHD, please get help for it, which might very well require stimulants, perhaps even Desoxyn. If you don't have ADHD, then your question is not appropriate for this forum. ADHD people already have enough stigma to deal with.

Unless you are currently going through life-threatening withdrawal symptoms from methamphetamine, there is pretty much no doctor (besides a pill mill doctor) that will prescribe methamphetamine simply for the purposes of pleasing you. You need to have a medical reason.

It's FDA approved for ADHD, narcolepsy, and obesity. As I understand it, stimulants are sometimes prescribed off-label for treatment-resistant depression, but it's generally frowned upon now in the medical community. And even when it is prescribed off-label for treatment-resistant depression, it's generally for short-term use only (giving a quick burst of energy to jolt someone out of a bad cycle).

I hope this information helps. Please do follow through with a medical/mental health professional - it seems like you want to get better, which is a good sign! In terms of GP vs psychiatrist, the psychiatrist is certainly more likely to have more experience with people like you, but every individual doctor is different. Some treat people with your history with contempt, while others will treat you with respect. Who knows who you will find?