View Single Post
Old 05-28-09, 02:20 AM
Jr Member

Notagain is on a distinguished road
Re: College and ADHD-How does everyone study?

I get really bored with studying, very quickly. I have been in school for a LONG time - I am almost finished with my PhD, just have to do that darn dissertation. Anyway, for studying, I find that I need to make it a creative process. in undergrad, I always wrote my notes during class, and then sometime before the next class, I would copy them. However, my note taking style probably looks a bit more like an abstract art class. I use a four colored pen and organize informaiton by color, sort of, so main ideas are in red, and then I draw arrows, squares and circles or whatever I am in the mood for to link main ideas to sub ideas (in green) and then for details, I would use blue or black, connected by yet more lines or circles. It makes for a lot of paper and is certainly not for everyone, but for me, it made studying less boring because my hyperactive side got to 'play,' it worked with my brain because the arrows linking things on paper allowed me to visually link the ideas that so naturally linked in my head, but put some organization to it, and it was easier for me to remember, because there were colors and there was some creativity involved. Obviously, this is not for everyone, but most of us have our own type of creativity, my suggestion, harness your creativity and use it to study, whether it is movement, dance, sports, drawing, it will be more useful than staring at a black and white page hoping that somehow, maybe by osmosis the information will seek into your brain (by the way, sleeping with the book under your head to encourage osmosis probably will not work very well). Studies have actually shown that kids learn better when teachers use rhythm to teach, that is why we all learned the ABC song so quickly, long before we actually knew what the ABCs were. Also, be sure to link what you are learning to your everyday life. when you learn something, link it to something you have already learned, your brain is already trying to do this naturally that way there is a space in your brain that is ready for the new information, (hence the many distracting thoughts, it just needs some extra help, so be explicit about linking things together, also, tell others about what you have learned, it will help you remember it later). Try to review things often, but not for too long, you will remember things better if you review them every day for five minutes than if you study it for five hours the night before the exam. One of my most successful rules for myself is that I make myself start to work for five solid minutes. After I have started, if I am miserable after five minutes, then I can stop. Usually though, once I am started, I don't mind the work, it is really the starting that is difficult. Okay, I'm done rambling now
The Following User Says Thank You to Notagain For This Useful Post:
leeleenat (10-10-12)