View Single Post
Old 03-21-19, 04:40 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,105 Times in 15,355 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: segregating kids with allergies during lunch hour

Its a tough situation. On one hand, some kids have such a dangerous nut allergy that even breathing the same air as someone eating peanut butter can send them into shock. I habe heard of schools not allowing any students to bring in nut products to avoid this but then you have to be fair to the non-nut-allergic too. At the same time its not cool to isolate the allergy kids and put them on display. I know some people will get bent out of shape and say because their kid is allergy free and likes peanut butter, why should they cater to the minority but their kid wont die like the kid with allergies might. Something I would encourage your sister to look into is whether the child has her own epi pen that the lunch staff carries on their person during her lunch. Many schools have one in stock at the nurses office but that doesnt help a child whose throat is closing at lunch. Some schools will let the parents supply them but have them kept in the nurses office which again, does no good if an attack happens. I think you have to push for it but are allowed to request that a lunch aid have one on hand but I think there is a process to get that allowed.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (04-19-19), Lunacie (03-21-19)