View Single Post
Old 07-03-18, 04:52 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,414 Times in 2,351 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What does narcissist and psychopath mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
What I am trying to figure out is how these people got this way?

And if there is anything we as a society, could do to possibly prevent or lessen the severity, before they hurt other people?
M
The cause is the fracture of a core relationship early in life. Although best from the horses mouth Sam Vanknin has some videos and writings that explain how it really is - he is a narcissist and is the expert on most things narcissism.

If they can be helped only Sam would know how. However they don't think they need help. They believe they are superior to us mere mortals and in some respects they can do what other's can't. They don't need to sleep. They don't always feel pain. There is a place for them in our society and sometimes they are quite likeable. You can enjoy the company of a narcissist as long as you don't let then in to your emotional space.

If they are your family you have no choice but to run. If they are a work colleague then the best thing is to have some physical distance between you and them and don't share your personal information.

My advice as an adhd person is learn appropriate boundaries and apply them to every relationship

Now Psychopaths. The one I worked with knew she was missing something. She also knew she could never aquire it. The issue here was that I was not the right person to work with her in close proximity. In the workplace she is driven and achieves a lot. She doesn't need to sleep so would take work home and do twice as much as everyone else.

I don't want to label people as good or bad coz life is not black and white. But if you are empathic or a child of a narcissist or have also had a fracture in a core relationship early in life or have been traumatised then these people are not people you want to let into your head. Doesn't mean they don't have a place.