View Single Post
Old 06-05-06, 06:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

barbyma has disabled reputation
Caveat: while I can claim some expertise in the field, I am not a licensed medical practioner and the following information is opinion. It should not be taken as medical advice.

I will provide citations where convenient, but will be happy to provide a more comprehensive list if asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingwithadhd
There are many natural treatments now available for the treatment of ADHD. This doesn't mean they actually work, but they are available.
I'd say that one could do just about anything and call it an available treatment. If I soak my left foot in lemonade & call it a natural treatment, it's pretty much the same as any other "natural" treatment on the market.

Most of these "treatments" are expensive and many of them are quite harmful.

While I agree that diet and exercise are important for overall health, there are no strategies that target cognitive symptoms of any kind.

The research on vitamin supplements isn't very optimistic. Not only are benefits not apparent, but there are a number of risks. Besides eosinophilia, hepatotoxicity, and neurotoxicity, behavioral problems can occur.

Quote:
Meditation is another natural form of treatment that is great for the individual with ADD.
I practice meditation myself and find it pleasant and soothing, however, there have been numerous studies in the past 20 years that provide conclusive evidence that there are no benefits for ADHD.

Quote:
There are also supplements you can take that are natural and can be considerably helpful to the individual suffering from ADHD.
Please see my post:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...3&postcount=17

For some info on the dangers of this practice and citations.

Quote:
The first choice for medication treatments are stimulant medications. In individuals with ADHD, they have a low amount of dopamine in the frontal part of their brains. Stimulant medications create dopamine which decreases the symptoms of the disorder.
The most likely proximal cause of ADHD is not a deficiency of dopamine, but an excess of dopamine transporter, a substance the leads dopamine to be taken back up into the presynaptic cell. With less dopamine in the synapse, it may appear to be a dopamine deficiency when in fact it's a functional problem.

Stimulant medications work by either reversing the action of the transporter or blocking the reuptake of dopamine (depending on the class of stimulant), thus dopamine remains in the synapse longer, allowing it to do its job. They do not stimulate the production of dopamine.

I'd provide citations, but a search of the ADDF would turn up much more eloquent explanations of this process by Hyperion.

Quote:
Adderall is the first choice of stimulant used by mental health professionals.
Some. For some, it's Ritalin or Concerta or one of the others.

While a longer-lasting medication is an advantage in some ways, it's a disadvantage in others. Long-lasting medication means any side effects (such as sleeplessness) also stick around.

in science there are no "authorities"
-Carl Sagan's The Demon Haunted World

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.