View Single Post
Old 11-20-19, 01:13 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,345 Times in 3,001 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Head's Up on Long-term High-dose Omega-3's

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
That is interesting, and may resonate with a general notion I have that our modern life and culture tends to continuously overactivate the sympathetic nervous system, while understimulating and undersupporting the parasympathetic system.

The 2 most basic balancing strategies I've come up with are 1)getting more sleep and rest intermittently with getting adequate exercise, and 2) fasting--or at least not snacking-- intermittently with eating well. But others such as walking outdoors, early morning sunlight, deep breathing, meditation, yoga and socializing may all tend to support better parasympathetic tone.

And I would love to understand more about the vagus nerve and heart rate variability. Not having access to a vagus stimulating device, I have attempted to improvise my own vagus nerve stimulation through singing, long exhalations and occasional Valsalva maneuvers, but I have no way of assessing the effect. Just a hunch, really.
Sticking your head in a bucket of Ice water works well for vagal tone for about the next 30 minutes.

Re sympathetic tone: Ive had a breakthrough there.
It relates to the neck- which was still tight on the back right- and I had an abnormally strong R sided sympathetic response.

I finally got the neck to behave (the problem was lack of movement on the R side- leading to a cascade up to the right cortex, leading to a descending lack of activity passing through the pontomedullary reticular formation and a failure of suppression of the right intermediolateral column in the spinal cord.

The IML is a column of 'always on' cells in the sympathetic nervous system that suppresses the parasympathetics and relies on suppression from the same side PMRF.

This is a huge shift, and I immediately (well withing 10 minutes) found the sympathetic tone dropped and my fingers warmed up.
Im sure this is of wider importance.

Its explained in better detail here:

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.