View Single Post
Old 07-05-18, 09:36 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of
Re: Feeling guilty and discredited because I take stimulants..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneTone View Post
Your insecurity about accommodations is just that: insecurity ... I'm a professor ... I don't give a blank about accommodations. I give them all the time to students ... and rarely had I seen a student go from say C to A based on an accommodation. Plus I also teach a bunch of non-ADHD procrastinators and I give them extra time on the fly as long as I know the work coming in will be good.
I used to teach at a university, too, and wouldn't have had any problem with students who needed accommodations.

I just wish that they had been available to me 30 years ago. I didn't know at the time that I had ADHD and doctors were only just starting to become aware that adults could have it, too. But I got lower grades in some classes than I should have because, even though I knew the material, I was unable to finish the exams on time. I even ended up having to drop a few class part way into the semester or take a pass/not pass grading option because the exams were done in such a way that they had lots of questions but only a minute or two to answer each one. I just couldn't organize my thoughts and write my answers fast enough so that a lot of the exam was still left undone. I would have done badly in the class and the professor seemed unsympathetic to my difficulties. So I decided in a few cases to drop a class or in one case, I took a pass/not pass grading option. And these were classes that I had really wanted to take.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
ToneTone (07-06-18)