View Single Post
Old 06-25-18, 06:34 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold
Re: Feeling guilty and discredited because I take stimulants..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I agree. And Avoid at all costs even telling your employer that you have adhd.
I'm still not 100% on this. And I've suffered on both ends. I told HR and had my doctor write them a nice note about (some of) what's wrong with me so that if I get locked up the company will (has to) hold my job. It has to be there when I get back. Probably also streamlines the short term disability if I ever need that.

ADHD is a little different. If that's all you have it may be fine. If you have the fun accompanying mood disorders and are medicated for them and you go down in a burning ball of fire (like I do every so often) you run the risk of losing your job. Or of you'd run the risk of being out of meds which could affect your job performance.

I'd say more to weigh that decisions very very carefully and consider all factors in your particular situation. In my case it is very possible to tell HR and have it on file without letting any of your bosses/coworkers know.

Basically if you think it could have a negative impact on your job now or in the future OR if you need accommodations - I'd go the HR route. They have confidentiality restraints I believe and was told if something does happen I don't even have to communicate what it is with my boss. It will be handled by HR entirely.

Just consider everything and make an informed decision. That decision may change based on where you are in your life, what job you currently hold, any accommodations you may need, or any other issues that develop.