View Single Post
Old 07-06-15, 07:19 PM

Thanked 4,197 Times in 2,016 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Thread of my retirement home activity ideas!

Was going to mention that the scented candles might be hard for some but Lunacie beat me to it!
But I LOVE your ideas for the sensory group Psycho You are so creative I think that would have been a big hit where I used to work Where I was there was a wide variety of functioning levels in our participants, some with very advanced alzheimers or who needed a lot of physical assistance, and others who were very mentally clear and or physically able. But anyways, with the alzheimers, things like that sensory stuff could really trigger some of their memories. And that is awesome!! Also when we would do music, sometimes folks who had trouble talking from strokes or alzheimers would suddenly be able to sing along! That was really great too.

I love the ideas about foliage and bark and sand and shells!! So sweet And the rainstick idea too, I have a really nice one of those! I wish I could loan it to you lol. My kids love it. Also I feel like, tipping the stick over (at least, mine, cuz it's really big lol) could be really good physical coordination, if anyone is working on that.

Gosh you are making me wish I had the creativity to come up with activities myself when I was doing this. I mostly helped out other people with their things, and we had a lot of stuff that was already established. I mean, I would do music stuff...we had singalongs which were really fun and books with the words to songs in them. If you want some singalong music from previous generations I could help you with that actually, if you need Though, actually, I'm sure where you are probably is all set with that.

Something that we did, maybe they would already do this at your place, but that's pretty simple is if you have a large pad of paper, put up a BIG EASY TO SEE crossword puzzle on it. Like you could find some really simple crossword puzzles online or get a book of them and draw a couple out really big. Anyways, then you read the hints and everyone works on it together. It's good to get easy ones so the group will finish them and feel good

oh also - back to the rainsticks - art projects were a hit where I used to work too. And you can totally make and decorate rainsticks. It might take some prep on your part though but like, paper towel rolls with toothpicks stuck in them, tape the outside where the toothpicks are to keep them in place. They won't last forever but! Then the participants can pour the beans in, and you put circles of paper at the ends of the tube so the beans/rice don't fall out. Then you can decorate the outside with markers or paint The art teacher at my school had a really good rain stick project that was actually a little more sturdy than this but I don't remember what she did, hmmm

Anyways have fun!! I found with working with the elderly, even if I had an activity that didn't work out as planned, they understood (unlike kids, ack) that I was new and they appreciated me trying, and they would be very nice and supportive about it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to willow129 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (07-06-15), psychopathetic (07-06-15), stef (07-07-15)