View Single Post
Old 11-21-13, 08:17 AM
Contributor

psychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of lightpsychokitty is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Dealing with grief and ADHD

My 10 year old daughter just got diagnosed a couple of days ago.

This was not a surprise to me. I've known for 6 years that something was up and pretty much had figured it out myself a long time ago.
I was diagnosed with ADHD as an adult myself.

My daughter has struggled so much. 2nd grade was particularly difficult for her and her teacher was horrible- the school work and homework got unnecessarily difficult and full on, and she was failing second grade and feeling so bad about herself.
I fought to get help for her and worked with the school counsellors and her subsequent teachers and things have been getting better.

However even though I have known for a long time and have been treating it as ADHD anyway, I am feeling quite a lot of emotion with this diagnosis.

Some of it is relief because I have been going it alone for a lot of the time, and there is also the relief that I wasn't crazy or overprotective..... But there is also a lot of grief.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychokitty For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (11-21-13), Nicksgonefishin (11-21-13)