View Single Post
Old 06-25-17, 06:55 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Cyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond reputeCyllya has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Article: kids and teens with ADHD are more likely to have car accidents.

Quote:
People with ADHD are particularly at risk for driving while distracted, during long-distance of highway driving, the nonprofit said.
The highway part of this is surprising, since highway driving seems a lot less risky to me. Non-ADHD people statistically have less accidents on highways, if I'm not mistaken. (Accidents that do happen are often worse because of high speeds, but they're less likely to happen in the first place.) No intersections, no stop lights, no stop signs, no pedestrians, no bicyclists, fewer speed changes, fewer distracting advertisements cluttering the sides of the road, opposite-direction traffic separated by a concrete barrier, those little reflective doohickies set into the lane markings, the option of using cruise control so you don't waste brain power on monitoring and correcting your speed.... The biggest thing to worry about is making sure you don't bump into the car in front of you.

Actually, maybe this sentence from the article means that ADHDers' risk on highways is relatively higher than non-ADHDers' risks on highways (compared to the relative risk on non-highways), but for highways are still less risky for ADHDers than non-highways are to ADHDers.