View Single Post
Old 09-07-18, 11:37 AM
Contributor

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Any musicians here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky1 View Post
As with most things, I have played just about every instrument out there at once time or another, got fairly proficient at them, but never had the focus or patience on to excel at any of them. I have the ear though, was even told by a classically trained college music theory professor that I had one of the best ears for music he's ever encountered. I just can't seem to motivate myself to stick with am instrument long enough to get good enough to express the insane musical thoughts pouring out of my head. It's frustrating...
I feel ya. In a previous life I made a serious effort to make it as a professional musician (ok, to be honest, I was trying to be a rock star! lol), and the ADHD definitely got in the way of working on my craft. I started on the drums and had a really hard time sticking to the drills needed to take my playing to the next level, and I had a bad habit of both speeding up and stopping in the middle of songs if I made a mistake. Then when I switched to voice, I did a little better but again maintaining a regular practice schedule was impossible.

What the ADHD did help with was the "flow" of creativity, but when I fronted a fantastic band in college (back around '94 or so), I got fired because I couldn't make it to practice on time, one of the great regrets of my life.

My daughters roll their eyes when I use this story to teach them to be on time, because they've heard it so often, lol, but it did teach me to be on time for things!!!

D.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.