ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   ADD Tech Corner (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=215)
-   -   Worst Widely Used Software Ever (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151800)

Abi 10-07-13 02:19 PM

Worst Widely Used Software Ever

My choices: Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer

dvdnvwls 10-07-13 02:38 PM

Re: Worst Widely Used Software Ever

Windows.

ana futura 10-07-13 02:48 PM

Word and everything else in MS office (Power Point!)

silivrentoliel 10-07-13 02:57 PM

anything Microsoft

Lunacie 10-07-13 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abi (Post 1550593)
My choices: Mozilla Firefox and Microsoft Internet Explorer

I prefer IE (internet explorer), maybe because it's what I'm used to.

My daughter likes Google Chrome. I recently had to use her laptop for a few
days and didn't like it enough to switch to Google Chrome on my own laptop.

dvdnvwls 10-07-13 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunacie (Post 1550625)
I prefer IE (internet explorer), maybe because it's what I'm used to.

Among people who prefer IE, I think that would have to be the only possible reason.

Abi 10-07-13 03:14 PM

I was one of those IE people, up until IE 9 came out, which was intolerable. I couldn't figure out how to get IE 8 back as there is no IE 8 download for Win 7 - without reinstalling Windows {it actually IS possible} so I switched to Chrome and never looked back.

addthree 10-07-13 03:25 PM

Apple IOS. Apple is great but the IOS has always been a bit quirky in my opinion.
Not that Windows OS doesn't have flaws it just a little more straight forward.

Lunacie 10-07-13 03:40 PM

I seem to remember hating IE 9 as well, but that computer crashed rather
quickly and I simply got a new one that came with IE 10.

dvdnvwls 10-07-13 03:46 PM

<hr style="color:#D1D1E1" size="1">
Quote:

Originally Posted by addthree
Apple IOS. Apple is great but the IOS has always been a bit quirky in my opinion.
Not that Windows OS doesn't have flaws it just a little more straight forward.

Hmm. Good point. I didn't include iOS, for the same reason that when someone asks "What's your least favourite food?" I don't include those artificial fruits made of wax.

I haven't used either iOS or [whatever Microsoft calls their desperate attempt to participate in that market] long enough to form strong opinions, because they are capable of so little of what I want from a computer. (i.e. the first thing I notice when I use anybody else's machine is not "Oh, look at the pretty colours", it's "Where's my full-size keyboard with tall key travel and positive-feeling keypresses"?

Abi 10-07-13 03:50 PM

I actually hated the idea of touchscreens too so when I finally bought my first smartphone I bought one with with a popout physical QWERTY keyboard.... but I soon got used to the Touch and I never use the physical keyboard anymore....

dvdnvwls 10-07-13 03:57 PM

(I'm old enough that my first typing experience involved the name Smith-Corona, my high school had a typing class, and the typewriters in that class included some IBM Selectrics. I've never recovered.) :)

stef 10-07-13 04:00 PM

apparently windows vista, is very bad

ana futura 10-07-13 04:05 PM

I like IOS devices for just playing around on, but for actual work i find them useless. I need my keyboard and giant (non-reflective) screen.

Speaking of apple products that suck- as far as hardware I can't stand the Imac screen. It's useless for anything but watching movies, and I have a very nice tv for that. I'm quite happy with my little underpowered mac mini and samsung monitor.

Apple does a lot of things that upset me, but I think OSX just works so much better for brain. I was stuck on a windows machine for a good 7 years, and now that I have a mac again it's like THANK GOD! I need everything to be obvious and visible and intuitive, and OSX can't be beat for that. I never adjusted to windows (any of them)

ana futura 10-07-13 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdnvwls (Post 1550669)
...it's "Where's my full-size keyboard with tall key travel and positive-feeling keypresses"?

I used to feel the same way about tall key travel, but I'm loving the current apple keyboard. I still have the previous generation (g4) but the keys take too much effort comparatively. I make more mistakes on the low profile keys, but I also type much much faster. It's a trade off.