ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Site News, Information & Events (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Support Groups & AD/HD Around the World. (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2127)

Tara 09-13-03 05:14 PM

Support Groups & AD/HD Around the World.

The "Support Groups" and "AD/HD Around the World" Forums has been merged into one forum called "Local Suppport" It can be found Under the Treatment/Managment section.

There are Sub-Forums for Countries and States with Listings for Local area support groups and events.

BigDaddy 10-17-03 07:16 AM

r u all americans?? im a UK (thats Britain!!) ADHD/ODD and Aspergers Syndrome (Autism) sufferer with possible other problems. How s**t is that!! must travel to other places. goodbye.

waywardclam 10-17-03 10:02 AM

Nope, there are some UK and Canadian (me) members, and I think I have seen an Australian or two, and there are probably others around here...

Andrew 10-17-03 10:31 AM

We have Forum members from the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the Netherlands and a few others.

Here's the stats page on visitors to the ADD Forums, by country:
http://www.addforums.com/forums/vbst...action=country

forget pares 09-10-09 02:47 PM

Re: Support Groups & AD/HD Around the World.

The URL is void. What happened to the country forums? I liked the first idea -- "local support". Now...? Could the old posts be ganged up into one again?

meadd823 09-14-09 12:10 PM

This is a six year old thread and many things have changed in the last six years including the version of Vbulletin being used

Helen Holmstrom 10-23-09 12:11 PM

I have a 27 year old daughter with un-treated ADHD. She has made a series of poor
choices in her life, and she is suffering from a deep depression, caused by a domestic
abuse beating she barely survived in 2003. I have tried over and over again to guide her to seek help for her un-treated ADHD and her deep depression. ( A child psychiatrist diagnosed her with ADHD at the age of 8, and she was on rittalin from age 8 until 14, when she stopped taking it.) As a mother, I want my beautiful daughter, to climb out of the pit of depression, and walk towards the happy ending
she deserves. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Helen

PS....I am new to this group, so thanks for your patience.

ADHDTigger 10-23-09 01:12 PM

Hi Helen- I would suggest that you seek out your local CHADD office for support groups that they may have in your area. You might also find some direction through your local NAMI office. Both can be found on the web at chadd.org and nami.org respectively. While not a solution, it is a good place to start. I would also suggest that your daughter reach out here as she is able. It will help her to see that she is not alone in managing ADHD and that there is support for her.

QueensU_girl 11-08-09 11:08 PM

The general trend seems to be that many folks want ADD support groups but noone wants to start/run them. :/

weareacc 11-22-09 04:43 AM

Ha ha, I can't imagine a worse person to run a support group than the average ADDer!! lol

Lunacie 11-22-09 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueensU_girl (Post 804257)
The general trend seems to be that many folks want ADD support groups but noone wants to start/run them. :/

I did run one for about a year. Two people showed up, at two different meetings. I decided to save myself the effort.

starkiller006 06-29-13 12:26 PM

I started an ADD/ADHD support group in the Denver, Colorado Area.

arxonius 07-04-13 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunacie (Post 809081)
I did run one for about a year. Two people showed up, at two different meetings. I decided to save myself the effort.

I was going to go to one last night. I have my medication adjusted so that it wears off a little after when I normally get off work unless I take one at about 3. Since I wasn't working really late,and didn't have anything I needed to get done,I didn't take that one. The support group completely slipped my mind. Seriously. :doh:

WheresMyMind 10-01-13 08:24 PM

Hey Star, when I lived in Denver, there were like a half dozen Adult ADHD support groups. One at least was associated with CHADD. Perhaps you got poor attendance because everybody was in one of the others?

We have just one support group here in PDX and it's not what I was looking for. It is more like a 12-step program where people in REALLY bad shape come to have a shoulder to cry on. What I wanted was to find adults who struggle, but have found and are willing to share tools they use to help themselves.

Still looking....

Meadd 03-31-17 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueensU_girl (Post 804257)

I did a search for local support adhd groups at a search engine outside of here, but found none, zip, zero of them. You are right.