ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Australia (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   My journey for adult ADHD diagnosis - Melbourne (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194971)

J_melb 05-03-19 09:05 PM

My journey for adult ADHD diagnosis - Melbourne

Hey all,

Iíve just gone through the process of getting a diagnosis for adult ADHD, and have just started on Ritalin today!

TLDR: Follow the process One Point Medical in Prahran has in place.

After having some struggles with my professional life, I decided it was time to explore if this thing that I thought wasnít quite right in my mind.

A few years back, my family GP moved from Melb to Sydney - and has gone on to be a bit of a TV star. Since he moved, Iíve floated between doctors, mostly bulk billing clinics. A month ago, I went to see one, got a referral for a psychologist, sent it off, and got a call 2 days later confirming an appointment(mid-May).

A few hours after, I begun getting worried I may be wasting my money, and not end up with a correct diagnosis. After some googling, I came across this forum, and another person from Melbourne had gone to see Dr. Chris Mulroney at One Point Medical in Prahran. I called up the clinic, but heís not taking new patients, so I had an appointment booked with Dr Joel Chan - who specializes in adult ADHD. Leading up to the appointment, I had to do an online test called Mindscreen - theyíll send you a link. It was $70íish with no Medicare rebate applicable. Itís to pre-answer a range of questions related to various mental health conditions.

At my appointment with Dr Joel, we talked about all my history: family, schooling, tertiary, work, relationships etc. At the end of the appointment, Dr Joel agreed with my concerns that I may have ADHD and referred me to a psychiatrist whom he works very closely with - he sent the referral, as if I had a print out and sent it off, I wouldnít get an appointment with this guy.

3 weeks on, I go and see the psychiatrist(Wednesday just past), we have a similar chat to that with Dr Joel, and at the end of the hour, he diagnosed me with ADHD - it was such a relief to hear him say that, and begun to tear up. One of my biggest concerns was going down this path, spending a heap of money, to get a Dr which doesnít a) believe you, or b) doesnít believe ADHD is a real condition(the Psych I saw said he has colleagues which donít believe the condition is real).

He wrote up a report, sent this back to One Point Medical, they lodged a request with the government to prescribe ADHD medication - as theyíre a heavily restricted medication, the permit was approved within 24 hours, clinic called me, booked me in, I got the script and started on Ritalin this morning.

Been a bit of a rollercoaster, and a little costly, though if youíre 100% convinced you suffer from ADHD, and are not just trying to find out how to get on the medication, I would strongly recommend everyone goes down the path I did

For those outside of Melbourne, try explore an option similar to this - a GPís clinic with a vested interest in mental health, and specifically Adult ADHD.

Happy to answer questions anyone has!

lateadultadhd 05-09-19 06:55 AM

Re: My journey for adult ADHD diagnosis - Melbourne

How has your journey with Ritalin been going?

J_melb 05-10-19 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lateadultadhd (Post 2017759)

Iím not 100% sure yet whether itís the right medication for me - GP mentioned thereís a chance Iíd have to change to dexamphetamine. Iíve stopped having completely random thoughts (I.e. ďI wonder if thereís a 3 legged cat with 2 tails in the world?Ē) and having to act on them instantly (googling, instagramming, etc). Though I feel like my attention still isnít where it should be.

On the flip side, I might be expecting too much of what Ritalin can do for me.

Iím on the short acting pills - 2*10mg, 3 times a day(first 2 days was 1*10mg 3 times a day). First day on the full dose was intense! Felt more racey than I did without the meds. I persevered the rest of the week on the full dose, and didnít have that sensation again. I have another week worth of medication - first script is a 2 week dose incase theyíre not the right meds for the patient, so Iíll discuss with the GP what his thoughts are on me swapping to dexies - and worst case, Iíll go back to Ritalin, and make adjustments.

J_melb 05-10-19 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lateadultadhd (Post 2017759)

Also, may not be related, but generally speaking I hate going to the gym. This week however, Iíve not felt like ďnah CBF going, Iíll just go tomorrow insteadĒ, where as last week, Iíd try think of a million and one reasons why it was ok for me to skip it haha