ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community

ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/index.php)
-   Nutrition (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Sugar (http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194367)

Barbrady1 01-24-19 05:30 AM

Sugar

Iím confused as to whether sugar is bad for those with ADHD.

Whilst itís widely advised to avoid sugar altogether, Dr Russell Barkley stated that those with the disorder may benefit from periodically sipping energy drinks to improve executive functions by getting more glucose in the brain.

Incidentally, I pretty much gave up sugar for years (before I was diagnosed) but I noticed that my attention was actually worse, my impulse control slightly improved but my mood tended to be flatter.

Iíd be interested to hear peopleís thoughts on the subject.

tudorose 01-24-19 06:05 AM

Re: Sugar

Sugar is bad for everyone not just those with ADHD. I don't cope as well being off meds when I'm not on a low carb diet. Brain runs better on ketones

Little Missy 01-24-19 08:58 AM

A little goes a long way.

Rebelyell 01-24-19 08:15 PM

OMG I'm such a sugarhead I'm.majorly addicted to sugar it's not even funny.

Greyhound1 01-24-19 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebelyell (Post 2013778)
OMG I'm such a sugarhead I'm.majorly addicted to sugar it's not even funny.

I love sugar too much and have since a child. I want to avoid it but I have a very difficult time when a craving kicks in. When I do have sweets, I usually have little will power to not over indulge. I can become a real sugar glutton once I get started.

Quote:

The ingestion of sugar or other sweeteners results in an acute elevated dopamine release in the striatum associated with reward.
I think sugar is just the key we use for a quick, short lived, dopamine fix.

stef 01-25-19 02:49 AM

I rarely binge on candy and if I have too much I'll feel unwell, but goodness I would be miserable with no sugar at all. For example, a typical breakfast for me is yogurt and a muffin.

I think the most important thing is to have an overall balanced diet. and I know low carb works for a lot of people. then there's the whole " gluten free " thing, which really annoys me because I know 2 people who actually have Celiac's disease (I'm trying to say, it 's not some fad diet and shouldn't be used as a marketing tool.)

Rebelyell 01-25-19 06:49 PM

If I could sniff it I would

tudorose 01-25-19 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stef (Post 2013788)
I rarely binge on candy and if I have too much I'll feel unwell, but goodness I would be miserable with no sugar at all. For example, a typical breakfast for me is yogurt and a muffin.

I think the most important thing is to have an overall balanced diet. and I know low carb works for a lot of people. then there's the whole " gluten free " thing, which really annoys me because I know 2 people who actually have Celiac's disease (I'm trying to say, it 's not some fad diet and shouldn't be used as a marketing tool.)

There's a certain amount of truth in the gluten free thing but there is a massive difference between allergy and intolerance.

I'm not allergic to gluten. But like cheese and alcohol if I consume it it brings on a fibro flare state. So yeah I can eat it and won't die from it by it the consequences of eating it can result in a pain state that can't be alleviated by painkillers.

cadog99 01-26-19 02:58 AM

i dont eat sugar. Just i eat a little oat and rice. i eated too much sugar formerly.

not a different.

SashaBV 01-29-19 01:55 AM

I try to keep the sugar intake down as much as I can. And I avoid HFCS entirely. Cake, cookies and candy I also avoid.

stef 01-29-19 04:35 AM

I wrote that "I don't binge on candy" like I'm some kind of purist or something. It's only because if I buy it, I'll eat it. so i get one thing at a convenience store or with lunch, because I'll be miserable with no sweets at all.

Andi 01-31-19 02:16 PM

I tend to only crave sugar once a month, it goes with my cycle. For me it doesn't improve anything but being sated during that cycle. I can't say that I avoid it but I perhaps get some of my sugar from eating fruit. I have some form of fruit a couple of times a day. There are those that believe that some fruit can be just as bad as raw sugar. Normally if I add anything that is sweet, it's honey to my chai tea. Once again, no benefit.

I do think however that processed bread and carbs are the bane of my existence and when I'm away from it I do better in life and I lose weight. My only issue is when I stay away and incorporate a little...whoops I did it again, 1 roll equals a half dozen and I spiral in a carb overload. I'm then lethargic and other symptoms become worse, my cravings intensify and I struggle go back on the wagon. I'm really starting to think I just need to go low carb again and stick with it. Perhaps part of the Keto experience others talk about. But I know I would NEVER last as a vegetarian. I'm a woman that has gots to have her lean meats.

Daniel1970 01-31-19 05:01 PM

Yeah, don't try to go low carb AND vegetarian. That's like expert level vegetarian. Go low carb and eat tons of lean meat and veggies/salads. Stay away from pasta and white bread. You'll be good.

Check out "The Zone" books by Dr. Barry Sears. They are the holy grail when it comes to low carb/high protein. Lots of recipes in all of the books.

D.

Daniel1970 01-31-19 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbrady1 (Post 2013720)
Iím confused as to whether sugar is bad for those with ADHD.

Whilst itís widely advised to avoid sugar altogether, Dr Russell Barkley stated that those with the disorder may benefit from periodically sipping energy drinks to improve executive functions by getting more glucose in the brain.

Incidentally, I pretty much gave up sugar for years (before I was diagnosed) but I noticed that my attention was actually worse, my impulse control slightly improved but my mood tended to be flatter.

Iíd be interested to hear peopleís thoughts on the subject.

If you want to feel and look like s---, eat lots of sugar and processed foods. It's about as simple as that.

I saw an interesting video that addressed the issue of "why do Europeans stay skinny when they eat all that bread and sausage??" The answer is: Americans put sugar, that is, high fructose corn syrup, as an additive in nearly EVERYTHING. Bread, sausage, sodas and other drinks, you name it. It's a highly concentrated form of sugar, and it's a nightmare for your body. It feeds a yeast in your digestive system that craves sugar. As that yeast grows, you crave more and more sugar, and your good bacteria gets outnumbered and you are less able to process food effectively. On top of what all that sugar is doing to your insulin levels, and causing your body to store the sugar as fat. Hello, obese Americans!

If you have any trouble with sugar, the first step is to AT LEAST read food labels and immediately put anything that says it has "high fructose corn syrup" as an ingredient back on the shelf like it's radioactive.

D.

soulsearcher 02-02-19 07:27 PM

Hi i was reading that people with adhd crave sugar as it helps with levels or tricks the brain not sure if its true but sugar is not good anyway