ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > meadd823
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

Disability, Inspiration and wtf Really Stops Us !!!!!

Posted 06-02-08 at 02:16 AM by meadd823

I heard about this woman on the news a couple of nights ago – she lived in an iron lung for almost 60 years – she wasn’t never going to be able to walk around the block much less give birth to children – we worry about never reaching our potential due to our disability what was her potential – and did she reach it?

Ever heard it mention soo many people have it so much harder than you but they don’t sit around complaining – it is hard to believe some times but ya know it just might be true.

Power outage kills woman in iron lung

Despite the limitations of her situation, Odell fashioned a fulfilling life flat on her back.
She completed high school and, for a time, attended Freed-Hardeman University on a scholarship to study psychology. A cousin went along to record lectures, and classes were sometimes held in her room at a professor's home where she boarded.

However, health issues forced her to give up her dream of graduating. Years later the university awarded her an honorary doctorate.
Odell became an author, penning a children's book, Blinky, about a star that wanted to be a "wishing star," but wasn't bright enough to be seen.

"It's about trying real hard at what you want to do until you can do it. I know about that," she said in a 2001 interview with The Tennessean. Nearly 100,000 copies of the book have been sold.
{End Quote}

Pics shared by Dianes family

More pics

Are pictures of Dianne through time – you think ADD is preventing you from reaching your potential think our lot in life is difficult – maybe we are being a bunch of whinny butts,

What exactly is the meaning of life and did this woman’s life have meaning?

Kind of makes me wonder – why was she able to under go such hardship have such a horrible disability – as some one who is hyper I can not even phantom spending my entire life inside a machine – if you look at the pictures in the second hyperlink her entire body except for her head is encapsulated in this machine.

We whine about our disability how hard it is to be ADD – how hard is it really – if she was given this disability to live through yet was able to inspire others how much more inspiration should we be able to muster.

Maybe life is less about our own accomplishments and more about the accomplishments we inspire in others.

Here is to inspiration - Dianne Odell

Facebook Twitter Submit "Disability, Inspiration and  wtf  Really Stops Us !!!!!" to Digg Submit "Disability, Inspiration and  wtf  Really Stops Us !!!!!" to del.icio.us Submit "Disability, Inspiration and  wtf  Really Stops Us !!!!!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Disability, Inspiration and  wtf  Really Stops Us !!!!!" to Google
Posted in Wtf
Views 2721 Comments 8 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 8

Comments

1. Old
    BEcause Odell had enough dopamine in her striatum to plan ahead and organise her goals into workable ones.

Odell had her executive function.
    Odell didn't make people think she was narcissitic because she was trapped in her head by her limbic system being in bondage to it forever until the day she died.

Odell didnt have to watch every girl in life that shows an interest in her get tired of her within a couple months tops.

This is not what this forum needs. Have you forgotten what ADHD is? I assure you we need no iron lung but we need just as much help.

Thanks for making my day a little bit crappier.
  2. Old
    The problem in comparing yourself to other people less fortunate if you have ADD, is that it just aggravates the issue at hand, as it makes you ask, if that person did what she did, how is it that I can't do it as well. alas, we aren't in any condition to do such things because we are in the midst of a battle against ourselves and our various psychological problems.

On the other hand if you are suffering from depression there is a point to such stories, as understanding that people can still be happy when life has brought you nothing but pain can be liberating, but as a person who is depressed sees everything in shades of black, he will probably not care anyway.

But I am glad that you found strength in this story, it definatly is an amazing one and thanks for sharing it with us.
  3. Old

Response to Mincan

While I do not mind a difference of opinion I do not care much for inconsiderate behavior - you may justify it to your self but I ain't buying.

Quote:
    This is not what this forum needs. Have you forgotten what ADHD is?
    Pardon me if I do not follow your protocol for what this forum needs .

I have always seen the need for diversity even during the times I find it annoying - Because I believe every one has a valid opinion no matter how rudely presented I will respond to your comments instead of simply deleting them

Quote:
    I assure you we need no iron lung but we need just as much help.
    If the power goes out will it kill you?

Can you brush your teeth scratch the end of your nose.

When you defecate do you have to lay in it until some one wipes your tush?

Quote:
    Thanks for making my day a little bit crappier.
    Well I am glad I could be here for you to blame

Hopefully it saves you from blaming some one else who may have mistakenly accepted responsibility for your feelings.

Today isn't my day to be responsible for your emotions - tomorrow isn't looking to good either.

Quote:
    BEcause Odell had enough dopamine in her striatum to plan ahead and organise her goals into workable ones.
    Her mind was all there - you complain about her not being mentally ill - **it if I had to live in one of those things I would prefer to be delusional myself .

Executive functions what a freaking cop out -

She had all her dopamine so she could organize her goals into workable ones!!! What a load of plant food.

What kind of ****ing gaols do you think a woman in an iron lung can make? Every thing but her head is crammed into a machine?

Quote:
    Odell didn't make people think she was narcissitic because she was trapped in her head by her limbic system being in bondage to it forever until the day she died
    Odell didn't look like a narcissist because she didn't use her condition as an excuse to treat other people like crap -

Not using her condition to treat other people like crap meant Odell took responsibility for her emotions, her words and her behavior

An excellent lesson I think.

In my opinion it is just the kind of lesson many in this community need

Unfortunately the ones who need it the most will probably never get it because they do not want to -

Quote:
    Odell didnt have to watch every girl in life that shows an interest in her get tired of her within a couple months tops.
    While you are feeling sorry for your self because women get tired of you this lady lived every day knowing she would remain a virgin her entire life yet she found a reason to smile

Missing that concept speaks volumes more than any thing I could ever write . . .

Good day
    Updated 06-07-08 at 09:34 AM by meadd823
  4. Old

My response to tazoz

You have a cute cat pic and I find it very difficult to disagree with some one sporting a cat pic –

I also appreciate your consideration of my feelings when choosing your approach – effort means a lot to me I will do my best to return the effort toward consideration and courtesy

Quote:
    The problem in comparing yourself to other people less fortunate if you have ADD, is that it just aggravates the issue at hand, as it makes you ask, if that person did what she did, how is it that I can't do it as well.

I do not feel compared to her I feel akin to her – she is unable to do many of the thing most people find simple in this area we are similar – I see what I have in common with others then see the differences.

Quote:
    alas, we aren't in any condition to do such things because we are in the midst of a battle against ourselves and our various psychological problems.
    This is where you and I differ –

I assume she wanted to be able to be normal just like I do some times – I posted pics that show her during various stages of her life for a reason.

Don’t you think for a minute when she was a teen she wanted to be like the other girls – wear popular clothes put on make up and dream of marrying Mr. Perfect.

I purposely quoted about how she had to give up her dream .

When she was unable to accomplish her academic pursuit due to her disability is there some reason to believe this woman didn’t feel just as depressed as any of us do when we are unable to accomplish a dream?

Quote:
    On the other hand if you are suffering from depression there is a point to such stories, as understanding that people can still be happy when life has brought you nothing but pain can be liberating, but as a person who is depressed sees everything in shades of black, he will probably not care anyway.
    When I posted this I was very depressed – I felt like shooting some of those nails into my head instead of the oak wood I was working with.

To believe I do not understand depression is where Dianna and I share common ground,

Where we differ – I have the physical ability to take my life she doesn’t even have that option.

I realize I feel the way I do because my neurotransmitters are screwed up = my serotonin / dopamine is to low and my progesterone is too high. When my brain chemical decide to set themselves on depressed I remember and obsess over every bad decision I have ever made in my life.

Logically I understand my mind dredges up what ever memory it needs to so it can justify the emotions my screwed up brain is producing but that doesn’t mean I feel any less like blowing my freaking brains out. Understanding does not equate relief I wish it did

I try to help people in ways that are practical no matter how I feel. It isn’t your, Mincan’s or any one else fault I feel depressed. I didn’t even choose to feel this way.

The way I see it if I can’t even control my depression what makes me think other people can.

Making other people feel bad doesn’t make me feel any better – so why do it.

Quote:
    On the other hand if you are suffering from depression there is a point to such stories, as understanding that people can still be happy when life has brought you nothing but pain
    Admirable attempt and a very decent out look but it wasn’t the same theme I had in my mind. I see it more like

Being a positive influence, being a friend, caring for a spouse and children are not things one does only when one “feels” like it. These are commitments that are made and followed through to the best of my ability weather I feel like doing them or not – Being a positive influence is some thing Dianne Odell choose to do and to the best of her ability weather she felt like it or not.

Perhaps what I saw and others missed was Ms Odell encouraged others despite her emotions not because of them.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and insights. I may not agree with every thing but that sure doesn't equate wrong just different.
  5. Old
    This story reminded me of gratitude. Everything I take for granted. Everything I forget to appreciate. There was a time in my life where I gave thanks to every situation I encountered, looked for a lesson from every person in my life. Everything was meant to teach me something... I forgot this along the way.

When I am depressed the only thing that ever pulls me out is doing something to make someone else feel good. Maybe she had to be an inspiration to others because she had no other way to get out of depression. It's not like she could go outside to get some sunshine (vitamin D), or exercise any time she wanted. What advice would you give to her to help her move out of depression?

Maybe this was her way of escaping what was going on in her head. It's not like we can ask her. So one is left to assume. To gather their own interpretation. Intellectualize it to what ever purpose serves them at this moment. Knowing something doesn't make a difference. Its really more about what you choose to do with the information. Which is all I am doing here. My interpretation. How I choose to see it and what I choose to take from it. I like to remember that there is no truth, no consistent version of reality (topic for another blog maybe).

I agree with tazoz in that comparing ourselves to anyone else is pointless. It is only a way to feed our insecurities. I think if we focused more on the ways in which we are the same, the commonalities that we share we would be able to find peace in this world and in our minds.

This turned out longer than I intended, but it is what it is. Make what ever meaning you want about anything. Just remember that you made it up
  6. Old
    What stops me is me. There is no there is no other honest way to put it. There is something within me... be it my neurotransmitter levels, personality, learned behaviours, parents raising style, etc, that has made me not initiate or accomplish the right things at the right times or if ever at all or if even right. At the same time it's not me that wants that.

I have had moments where I understand what concentration is... it's a strength of mind/will. Afterall thats all the amphetamines do... make our thoughts/will stronger thereby allowing us to do what we want to do easier... to someone with no executive dysfunction this would make them have a crash and burn effect from simple neurochemical overload or whatever. In those that pull off enough characteristics for ADHD diagnosis this sometimes leads to too much progress too quick. Me for example.. so they stop my dose so I can never truly accomplish anything... just start starting if that makes any sense.
  7. Old

Response to zoie

Quote:
    I agree with tazoz in that comparing ourselves to anyone else is pointless. It is only a way to feed our insecurities. I think if we focused more on the ways in which we are the same, the commonalities that we share we would be able to find peace in this world and in our minds.
    I focus on the similarities then the differences -which is what I said in my response to tazoz.

I focus on the similarities which enable me to relate to some one as a person It helps me keep thing in perspective if I can connect some how some where -

The differences in perspective them selves is what makes each person unique.

Just think if we were all identical what would we have to discuss - what would propel us on ward and up ward. {interaction subject of my next blog- research done just need to write it up}

Quote:
    Knowing something doesn't make a difference. Its really more about what you choose to do with the information.
    Excellent point - I like the way you said it.

Quote:
    My interpretation. How I choose to see it and what I choose to take from it. I like to remember that there is no truth, no consistent version of reality (topic for another blog maybe).
    We do not see things as they are we see them as we are.

I read it in some ones signature some where and do not have time right now to look up who said it but I find it to be true.

I do believe there is a right for me - I do believe in a morality of sorts how ever I feel my morality should be some thing I live not some thing I cram down other peoples throats.

Global or universal right and wrong - ehh

Folks can do what ever floats their boat as long as it does not entail the sinking of my ship - I think there is a positive and negative energy - we all emit both at one time or another however each person has a typical trend unique to them as individuals
  8. Old
    This was really interesting for me to read, I didn't read much of the rant in the comments. But it reminds me of this guy who had the first hand transplant and he couldn't handle it psychologically so he didn't take the meds and his hand went *****, but the second guy took his meds, and got like 60% of his hand function back, and could hope to achieve 80% more functioning. This is inspired me.
    But soon enough it was out of my mind.
    So I'm trying not to use my condition as a barrier but it;s hard. Like the other day when I met those German girls they thought I was stoned, but I wasn't an I felt like I needed to explain my behaviour, when I could've just been like 'Well that's the way I'm am.'.
    It's hard to try though when you keep forgeting what you're aiming for.
    So begin with small goals, and try not to make it into a big problem. Like with my drinking when I thought 'This is just gonna continue it seems far to big to avoid it's everywhere, and I'm fu cked regardless so better continue drinking.' but then I thought 'Well if I can have a better quality of life then I should try.'
    Like when my friend says 'I NEED A CIGARETTE' (at the moment I can say 'Nah give up you'll feel better for it and you'll live longer.' Then he's like 'But I'm probably not gonna live past 60 so I may as well smoke.' but it's also about is the short term gain of nicotine really that great, and consider how it affects your asthma, and how you're always complaining of palpitations due to your 'anxiety', why make it worse with nicotine?'

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks