ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > smerila_6
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

40 yr old going back to school....Yikes

Posted 03-22-09 at 07:38 PM by smerila_6
I am 40 years old and diagnosed with ADD last year. I have been taking a course on line and have no ambition to get it done. Yes, thats right I don't make it a priority. I have a husband, 4 kids, full time job, and kids in sports. I did really good in the beginning and then I got bored. That is everything I do. I start out great but never finish anything. Can you help me? I am on Adderall xr 20mg.

Sylvia
Facebook Twitter Submit "40 yr old going back to school....Yikes" to Digg Submit "40 yr old going back to school....Yikes" to del.icio.us Submit "40 yr old going back to school....Yikes" to StumbleUpon Submit "40 yr old going back to school....Yikes" to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3229 Comments 3 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 3

Comments

1. Old
    If you got diagnosed, do you have a psychologist or psychiatrist that can help you stick with this and develop strategies for your schoolwork? Maybe change your dosage or med? There are ADD Coaches - have you considered one? I found a group online (includes known ADD authors), and they will coach by phone. http://www.addcoaching.com/

Also being on this forum, or maybe on a social networking site could help some. On ADDerworld they have a group for helping keep each other accountable, as well as one on coaching and 2 for students. You might want to check it out. http://adderworld.ning.com/

Good luck with the coursework and try to hang in there!
  2. Old
    Sylvia -

I have found a lot of inspiration through reading. A couple of books in particular have made strong impressions on me. The theme in a few are like this:

1) Only you can change you.
    2) You have the ability to change.
    3) No one is going to fix your situation for you.
    4) Consider the damage of [I]not changing[/I].
    - Damage to your financial situation
    - Damage to your conficence and self-esteem
    - The example you are setting for your children

You can do this, but you need to want it more than anything else. Once you light the spark, the fire will grow within you.

You may want to look at some books:
    Anthony Robbins - Awaken the Giant Within
    Larry Winget - You're Broke Because You Want to Be (money oriented, but concept is identical)

If you have trouble finding them, there are links to those books and a few others that may help here:
    [URL]http://basecamphome.wordpress.com/2009/03/11/success-library/[/URL]

Best of luck! (By the way - I was a late returner. I blew two attempts at college out of high school. I went back many years later. I worked 35 hours a week and took 18 credits plus every winter & summer session.) You Can Do IT!

- Chris
  3. Old
    Hi Sylvia,
    Looks like you have been given some great advice here. One I second is ADD Coaching. I was diagnosed in my thirties, when my son (then 10 yrs old) was diagnosed. I blew it off and lived in denial for more than 10 years.

THEN..... menopause hit with a vengeance! That's when I had to accept I am what I am and I sought help. I found tremendous support at the ADDiva Network. You can google ADDiva and find them easily. I am attending their online retreat in June. I have also been to their gardenspirit retreats where I received support and help.

I wish you all the best.

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks