ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > Blogs > TXMockingbird
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Rate this Entry

Diagnosis and Treatment: A Pilgrim's Progress

Posted 08-25-10 at 02:33 AM by TXMockingbird
Well, the title isn't original, and this is an entirely different type of pilgrimage than John Bunyan wrote about, but it IS a pilgrimage.

I received the "ADHD, primarily inattentive-type" diagnosis in January of this year and began treatment a week later. My life hasn't been the same since! There are still problems related to my ADHD, but the medication has definitely given me a good start! For the first five months, I felt so positive and so much better that I thought everything was as perfect as it could be. But that's not quite the case, as I've come to realize.

In addressing my lack of physical and mental energy/motivation, AND my symptoms of depression and social anxiety, the medication has actually accentuated my organizational inabilities. I've tackled more projects and sought more social engagement to the point that I'm finding it extremely difficult to decide on priorities and organize my time. Spending is also a problem , but not as much as managing time. I'm still always "running late," always rushing, always procrastinating on the things that need to be done but aren't "relished." The only thing that's changed in relation to time management is the excuse. Now the excuse for running late is that "I was on a roll and didn't want to stop" instead of "I felt so tired, I couldn't move." I wish I had a coach. It's hard to be your best when you're not accountable to anyone or enabled/encouraged by another. Or, as the Scriptures say, "Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!"

Also, I've backslidden in the area of sleep the past two months. Dr. Spratley had told me to change my sleep pattern so that I could rise earlier, and I'd been successful at doing that for the most part. But lately I've gotten less sleep, or even when I sleep enough, I wake feeling kind of hungover . That has made staying alert on the job much more difficult... almost as difficult as it was before treatment with medication began. Considering my job, this is very bad, and can be dangerous. I've got to get a handle on this again!

I see my doctor for a follow-up tomorrow, and I will tell her these things.
Facebook Twitter Submit "Diagnosis and Treatment: A Pilgrim's Progress" to Digg Submit "Diagnosis and Treatment: A Pilgrim's Progress" to del.icio.us Submit "Diagnosis and Treatment: A Pilgrim's Progress" to StumbleUpon Submit "Diagnosis and Treatment: A Pilgrim's Progress" to Google
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 1826 Comments 0 Email Blog Entry
« Prev     Main     Next »
Total Comments 0

Comments

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks